The KLI Focus Group is a newly developed format that gathers leading experts of an interdisciplinary field with the aim to develop ideas on a particular subject and generate suggestions for action. The invitees come from different scientific backgrounds and strive to develop specific, practical goals within the designated period of one to two weeks.
To develop a clearer and deeper theoretical and empirical understanding of the evolutionary mechanisms that produce play and how these mechanisms may be transformed over evolutionary time. This deeper understanding will be achieved by bringing together experts on the (1) neurobehavioral mechanisms of play, (2) comparative analysis of play in diverse taxa, (3) modern statistical methods in comparative biology, and (4) evolutionary computational models of play. Theoretical and conceptual work accomplished will be published in a book that will be the first systematic theoretical, empirical, and conceptual analysis of the evolution of play.
- Gordon M. Burghardt (University of Tennessee)
- Sergio M. Pellis (University of Lethbridge)
- Ellsabetta Palagi (University of Pisa)
- Jeffrey Schank (UC Davis)
- Paul Smaldino (UC Merced)
- Louk Vanderschuren (University of Utrecht)
- Brian C. O'Meara (University of Knoxville)
Invited participants only!